16 October 2006

birthday shmirtday

so i just turned 25 last saturday. hooray! i am now a quarter of a century old. fortunately for me, my mid-life crisis is pretty much over. it began about a couple of months before my actual birthday. it made me do a lot of thinking: "oh my god! i am turning 25 and what have i accomplished so far? nothing!" or something to that effect. seriously, though, i was really depressed about turning 25. i am not one to normally compare myself to others (especially to my friends), but the fact that a lot of them are now doctors (or literally one step behind becoming full-fledged ones), or successful university instructors, masteral students abroad, etc... come on, won't you feel depressed too? especially in my case, the one-with-all-the-potential. i guess for some time now, that's all i have ever been. full of potential, but no realizations happening. which is also probably one of the reasons why my mom is sooo frustrated with me, she knows how great i can be (and this is without bias, even if she is my mother), and yet it seems like i am not really doing anything about it.

the sad thing is, she's probably right.

but enough of that. the important thing is what you do with the NOW. so what if you've done all these great things before? it's all in the past. as richard of ally mcbeal would say, "bygones!" high time for me to make my own accomplishments. again. get started on tomorrow!

"Some people never get over their past accomplishments. Even worse are the people who exaggerate what they have done. For years, I kept a sign on my desk that helped me maintain the right perspective concerning yesterday. It simply said: YESTERDAY ENDED LAST NIGHT." - John Maxwell

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker